The final paper marks the completion of the study programme.
Topic and supervisor
The topic of the paper will be agreed with the student's supervisor, to be chosen among the programme faculty. There is no co-supervisor. A lecturer who does not sit on the programme faculty may be chosen as a second supervisor, in agreement with the supervisor.
Please note that the graduation application may only be submitted upon agreement with the supervisor.
The final paper will award up to 6 points toward the overall mark. The scoring criteria cover the quality of the presentation, the analysis, the methods, and the organization of the paper. The committee may award honours unanimously.
The paper may be written in a EU language studied in the programme, as agreed with the supervisor.
Guidelines and other information
Further information can be found on this page. Please refer to the downloadable final paper guidelines for instructions on how to write your final paper.
To be admitted to the final exam, students must do the following:
- upload a digital copy of the thesis in PDF/A format by accessing - from UNIMIA -> SIFA Online Services -> Administrative services -> graduation application -> Thesis upload. You cannot apply for graduation without uploading the thesis within the deadline.
- Create a PDF/A file of your thesis starting from a Word or LibreOffice document (follow instructions on the video tutorial).
Students enrolled in Milan-Genoa inter-university programmes who intend to graduate from the University of Genoa must notify the Humanities Student Desk within the deadline for online graduation application.
On 28 February 2022, the Management Committee of the Faculty of Humanities approved a new discussion system for Bachelor's students' final exams. Under the new system, to be implemented as of the first 2021-22 graduation session (i.e. as of July 2022), upcoming graduates will defend their final paper remotely. A graduation ceremony will follow, where graduates will be delivered their diplomas in person. The Bachelor's graduation ceremony will take place in the weeks following the final exam according to a specific calendar.
Master's degree students will continue to sit for the final exam in person and graduations will be announced thereafter.
There are three graduation sessions per year, for both Bachelor's and Master's degree programmes:
- Summer session
- Autumn session
- Winter session.
In the Deadlines and calendars section you will find the dates for each session and all the steps required to take the final exam.
Students who graduate by the third session of the academic year need not pay the first instalment for the next academic year.
To graduate students must:
- Be current with tuition and fees until the last year of enrolment
- Pass all the exams required by your last approved study plan, within the deadlines
- Agree on the thesis title with your supervisor before applying for graduation
- Apply for graduation and pay the graduation fee
- Fill in the upcoming graduate survey
- Comply with programme-specific formalities and deadlines for each session
The graduation application must be submitted online by the deadline set for your session. Do not hand it in to the Student Registrar.
The payment of the € 116.00 graduation fee (including the € 16.00 stamp duty) may be made through Pago PA:
- when submitting the online application, or
- after submitting the graduation application, through the payment service
Upcoming graduate survey
Upcoming graduates are required to fill in the survey within the term set for each session.
You can access the survey only after submitting the graduation application.
Failure to fill in the survey by the deadline will result in exclusion from the graduation session.
Deadlines, procedures and graduation calendars
Deadlines, calendars and procedures are different depending on the degree programme.
Each application is valid for a single exam session.
Students who forfeit an exam must promptly notify the Registrar through the Informastudenti Service. Students must submit another application through the online procedure, indicating the newly chosen exam session.
Once paid, the graduation fee is valid for the new session also. Postponements are not allowed.
- Final exams: 7, 8 and 11 July 2022 (remotely)
- Online application for graduation: from 2 May to 6 June 2022
- Graduand questionnaire completion deadline: within 16 June 2022
- Deadline for completing exams: 15 June 2022
- Online thesis submission (only on completed exams): from 2 May to 16 June 2022
- Graduation ceremony: 20 and 21 July 2022.
The graduation calendar will be posted below, in the Graduation calendar section, starting from mid-June. In order to ensure the necessary limits and allow the regular conduct of the ceremony, the Managing Committee for the Faculty of Humanities has established that a maximum of 3 people for each candidate is allowed to partecipate.
Notice: latest available round in order to sustain the final exam within 31 December 2022
- Final exams: from 7 November 2022
- Online application for graduation: from 22 August 2022 to 26 September 2022
- Graduand questionnaire completion deadline: within 26 September 2022
- Deadline for completing exams and obtaining all CFU: 9 September 2022
- Online thesis submission: from 22 August 2022 to 14 October 2022
- Final exams: from 6 February 2023
- Online application for graduation: To be defined
- Graduand questionnaire completion deadline: To be defined
- Deadline for completing exams and obtaining all CFU: To be defined
- Online thesis submission: To be defined
- Final exams: from 4 to 8 April 2022
- Online application for graduation: from 15 December 2021 to 15 February 2022
- Graduand questionnaire completion deadline: within 8 March 2022
- Deadline for completing exams and all CFU: 11 February 2022
- Online thesis submission (only on completed exams): from 17 January to 8 March 2022
The extraordinary session is reserved for students with no more than two exams pending at the time of the graduation application.
The degree programmes will set extraordinary exam sessions in May 2022, only students who have submitted their graduation application for the extraordinary graduation session academic year 2020/2021 will be able to access.
- Final exams: from 7 June 2022 to 15 June 2022
- Online application for graduation: from 21 March 2022 to 8 April 2022
- Graduand questionnaire completion deadline: within 8 April 2022
- Exam session for students with no more than two exams pending at the time of the graduation application: from 9 May 2022 to 20 May 2022
- Deadline for completing exams: 20 May 2022
- Online thesis submission (only on completed exams): from 21 March 2022 al 23 May 2022